Get updates by:
Whether you are in college or not, it doesn't really matter, everyone likes to party every now and then. Partying can be even more entertaining when you dress up or have a themed party. Nobody says the only time you get to dress up is on Halloween. A themed party brings a certain cool and fun vibe to any gathering and allows us to be a kid again, as well as enabling us to show our creativity and sense of humor.
A themed party will relax people's comfort zones and help them not take life so seriously and stressful. Even a shy person can really come out of their shell at a costume party because they feel that they fit in to the environment. One issue that comes across in a costume party is encouraging those who don't want to dress up. You can usually easily combat this by "charging" those without a costume.
Party Theme Ideas for your next themed party:
Non-costume party themes:
Your Typical Foam Party
- Graffiti Party - This is where everyone brings a marker and wears white shirts and writes on each other. Some also use a highlighter and black light combination that makes all markings glow. The cool thing about the black light/highlighter combo is that you can't really see what is written until you are in the black light. Some parties will keep the normal lights on during most of the party, while everyone writes on each other, then toward the end, flip on the black light to see what people wrote. It makes for some interesting reads!
- Decades parties: 60's, 70's or 80's. Dress up like that time and play that music: 70's - Hippie themed.; 80's - Ideas are endless here. Dress up as an icon from the 80s: Ghostbusters, etc.
- Mardi Gras - Beads being tossed, shirts going up and liquor going down, this is always a wild one.
- Luau - Hawaiian shirts, bikinis, grass skirts and drinks served out of coconuts. People love the Hawaiian vibe. This is a good one to throw in the Spring, right before summer to get people in that summer time mood. Be sure to bust out the Piña coladas and the Malibu Rum!
- Foam Party - You just rent a foam machine and people walk around rooms that are covered in foam. People end up getting quite slippery, so you never know what will happen! This is one of the best/coolest parties you can throw, though you almost have to have a linoleum or hard floor. Then again, shampooing the carpets can't be that bad, right? Either way, a foam party is a guaranteed good time.
- Pimps and Hoes - A classic theme, and another party for girls to wear revealing outfits...girls dress like sluts and guys dress like pimps. Though seeing a pimp hat gets old, it's interesting to see what outfits girls will show up in.
- Margaritaville/Buffet Bash - Jimmy Buffet/Beach theme. Bonus if you bring in sand for this one. I've heard stories of people throwing these kind of parties in houses about to be torn down. What you do is bring in a bunch of sand to your place of party and crank the heat all the way up! This is really cool (not temperature wise), especially in the winter.
- Toga Party - This Frat classic would make John Belushi proud. Though it may be over played a bit, it can still be a kick every now and then. For guys it's a great way to show off muscles, while girls...well it's a great way to show off everything else they are showing off on this list.
- ABC Party - Anything But Clothes. Party goers must show up in "Anything But Clothes". Use your imagination here: Duct Tape, Plastic bags, towel, cardboard box, etc. Get more ideas here.
- Casino Night - Bring out the gambling addict and the party animal in you. Sometimes these type of parties may have a serious feel to it and you may have to act proper and classy. But everyone is competitive when they're drunk. (Disclaimer: If you are gambling for real money, don't drink alcohol).
- White Trash Party - Now you have a reason to wear that torn up wife beater with holes in it in public.
- Pajama Party - Also goes by "kegs and eggs" - wear pj's and stay all night until you cook breakfast. At least you'll be all set when you're ready to pass out at this party. Though eggs do sound kind of gross after a night of drinking. Who's the genius who thought of this one?
- CEO's and Office hoes - A classy formal attire party with a little provocativeness involved. In a way, this is the white collar pimps 'n hoes party.
- Cops and Robbers - Pick partners and be handcuffed all night. Though handcuffs are optional, this is a good one for that good girl/bad boy combo, or the bad girl/good boy combo. Either way, bandits will be making out tonight.
- Club - Girls will enjoy any type of Club atmosphere where dancing is involved.
- Cowboys & Indians - Pretty self explanatory, dress up as either a Cowboy or Indian at this Party.
- Rags to Riches - You dress up in rags or riches and at first you sit outside and drink cheap beer. You can't go inside till the cheap keg is done, then you go inside and have the expensive beer/wine/etc. Another genius move. "Beer before liquor, never been sicker".
- Angels & Devils - A costume mixer. It's always interesting to see which girls dress up as what.
- "Head banger's Ball" - Black leather/chains type costumes. No comment here, talk to MTV.
- Catholic School - Girls dress like catholic school girls, plaid skirt and all, boys in shirts and ties. They each get a partner, one person is hall monitor and gives out detentions, one person is principal and you get sent to the office if you get detention. If you get detention punishment is to take whatever shot principal gives you. Confessing your sins the next day...optional!
- Bikers and Babes - No, not the mountain biking kind.
- Disco Party - Though I wouldn't recommend playing disco music all night, or wearing roller skates while you're drunk.
- Shower Party - You can throw a Shower party if you have a huge shower room with lots of showers (Frat houses). People come in swim attire and a keg is usually brought in. Girls where bikinis or white T-shirts, as the close proximity to water makes for a nice wet T-shirt contest.
- Alcoholics Party - Everyone gets a "Hello my name is ________" sticker and writes a name on it. Boring? Yeah, I thought so too.
- Rave - Like you are at a club. Bring your Glow Sticks! Too bad most girls don't like techno.
- Bon Fire - Great outdoors fun, and a great way to burn and get rid of any scrap wood or spare couches you have. These are even better in cold winters. Just don't get drunk and try and jump over the fire, OK?
- Spodi or Spodee-odee - While not a dress up party, a Spodi party is still a party favorite mixed of your favorite fruit, juices and alcoholic beverages or other mystery drink. You will definitely feed your daily vitamin C/alcohol crave here.
- Luge - You carve channels in a huge Ice block and pour alcohol down it (with optional mixer). Your mouth (placed at the bottom end of the Ice Luge) then receives a perfectly chilled shot thanks to the ice. Pretty cool idea, just take it slow and pace yourself!
Looking for a costume for an upcoming theme party? Visit Spirit Halloween for the largest selection of costumes.
Recommended Products from Amazon.com
Access more useful college info:
Enter your email address to get more tips by email.
On Facebook? Like Us
Get College Tips by Email:
To get these, subscribe by email.
- Most Expensive College Dorms
- The 100 Greatest College Traditions
- Banned College Traditions
“I like the articles that are written here. There are plenty of other blogs that cover being frugal as a student, but you cover stuff that other places don't.” - Sarah E., USC
"I like the fact that you’re actually offering interesting, useful information to students." - Pedro M., Harvard
In the News:
Access select online courses:
Get notified of new articles by RSS feed or Email.
Paying for College|
Compare Student Loan Rates