Get updates by:
Where to Buy and Sell Textbooks
College bookstores are the enemy. High prices, long lines, and a horrible buyback program are the biggest complaints.
Here are places you can buy, sell, rent and exchange textbooks, other than your school's bookstore.
General Online Bookstores
- Amazon - The world's biggest selection of books at low prices.
- BookByte - Buys back and sells new and used college textbooks.
- eCampus - Discount bookstore saving you 50-90% off.
- CengageBrain - Formerly iChapters, with options to buy, rent, download, or order chapters of books.
- Barnes & Noble - This bookstore giant usually has fair pricing of textbooks.
- Textbooks.com - Buy and sell textbooks at this site claiming to have the largest selection of used textbooks.
- CourseSmart - Find your textbook as an eTextbook at a much cheaper price.
- CengageBrain - Many textbook titles can also be found here in digital form.
- CafeScribe - Lets you download textbooks in digital form, so it saves trees. Because of this, this service is about 50% cheaper than your normal college bookstore.
- Textbook Revoloution - Helps you find free text versions of textbooks online.
- eBay - Auction site, also see half.com.
- Valore Books - A marketplace for buying and selling textbooks.
Price Comparison Sites
- Book Finder - Search engine that finds the best buys on new and used textbooks for sale.
- AddAll - Price comparison agent built to ease online book shopping.
- directtextbook.com - search for your books and see prices from several textbook stores where you can buy your textbooks.
- Big Words - Price comparison search engine.
- CampusBooks - Compare prices on all of your books at once.
Many places will buy books from you. Here are a few we recommend.
Access more useful college info:
Enter your email address to get more tips by email.
On Facebook? Like Us
Get College Tips by Email:
To get these, subscribe by email.
- Most Expensive College Dorms
- The 100 Greatest College Traditions
- Banned College Traditions
“I like the articles that are written here. There are plenty of other blogs that cover being frugal as a student, but you cover stuff that other places don't.” - Sarah E., USC
"I like the fact that you’re actually offering interesting, useful information to students." - Pedro M., Harvard
In the News:
Access select online programs:
Get notified of new articles by RSS feed or Email.
Paying for College|
Compare Student Loan Rates